Skip to main content

Rainbow Cake

I started taking Wilton I cake decorating classes. I always enjoyed baking, so I wanted to make my cakes look better. Last week we just talked about the different tools we would need for the class and this Thursday we put those tools to use. We made the Wilton rainbow cake this week. We had to bring a cake already iced. I made the blue icing at home. When icing our cakes we are suppose to use the thin icing. When I took my icing to class so that the teacher could make sure that we had the right consistency of thin, middle and thick icing. Well, of course my icing had a little trouble. What I thought was medium was really my thin and my thin was really too thin. Which would give the reason why I had a little trouble with icing my cake and it did not really crust over.

These stars took alot of time to do. They look really pretty once done. My hands got tired as I tried to create all of these little stars trying to make them just perfect so that you could not see any of the blue in the rainbow. I got lazy at the end and instead of using the small star tip, I used the large star tip that already had to make the clouds. I think it gave the clouds a fluffy effect.


I need to work on my smoothing techniques and allowing my icing to crust over when I first ice my cake. Next week we are making cupcakes with clown heads. I asked my mom to find the ones that she used at my 5th birthday party. I think I saw them in the silverware drawer last time I was over there. Hey...I am recycling. We will see how it goes next week.

My cake did not turn out to bad. I was kinda cute and my co-workers had no problem eating it.





Here is the icing recipe that I was taught.......

  • 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine softened
  • 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
  • 4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (approximately 1 lb.)
  • 2 tablespoons milk or water
You will need to add additional water or milk and/or confectioners sugar to get the icing the consistency that you want.

Comments

will you please follow my blog? www.conversetotheoscars.com =]
Aarika said…
How did you like the Wilton Cake class? I love baking as well and I really would like to learn how to decorate, but I was wondering if the class was really worth it.

Popular posts from this blog

Love, Marriage and then a _______________

Love, marriage and then a baby carriage. I am preggers. I am 15 weeks pregnant. I know that it is not fall along, but I wanted to share our blessing on my blog. We are very excited about the little one, that we are currently calling Baby J. I have not had much sickness. I have had periods of nausea, but it is not consistent. I have noticed that my body is changing, as it should. I just guess that I was not expecting my body to change that quick.  As my friend, Bev says, " Your growing a life. What do you expect?" She is right. Really, I do not know what to expect. It will be quite a little journey as another part of me sweeping through  life.

Announcing........

Girl Announcing the arrival of our beautiful baby girl Gabrielle . She arrived a little bit early and kinda unexpectedly but well timed. She arrived on February 3, 2012 at 8:05 am. We are still getting settled in at home, but I wanted to let you know that she had arrived and I will share our story and pictures later.