Skip to main content

Happy Founder's Day

With a few of my sorors.
Happy Founder's Day to all of my sorors. On this day, my sorority Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority Inc. was founded 88 years ago.



The first three years were devoted to organizing. The first call for a
national boule (convention) was held in Indianapolis,
December 27-29, 1925. The second was held in Louisville,
Kentucky at which time Fannie O'Bannon
became the grand basileus.

In keeping with the ideals of Sigma Gamma Rho, the sorority
has supported the following organizations:National Association
for the Advancement of Colored People, National Council of
Negro Women, National Pan Hellenic Council,
Leadership Conference on Civil Rights,
National Urban League, March of Dimes Birth Defects
Foundation, National Mental Health Association,
United Negro College Fund, Martin Luther King Center for
Non-Violent Social Change, Black Women's Agenda
and American Association of University Women.

With over 500 chapters & 85,000+ members in the United States,
Bermuda, the Virgin Islands, Bahamas, Germany and Korea,  
Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. is committed to improve
the quality of life for its members and the society it serves.

Foundation
Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. was organized on
November 12, 1922 in Indianapolis, Indiana by seven young educators:
Mary Lou Allison Little, Dorothy Hanley Whiteside, Vivian White Marbury,
Nannie Mae Gahn Johnson, Hattie Mae Dulin Redford,
Bessie M. Downey Martin and Cubena McClure.
The group became an incorporated national collegiate sorority on
December 30, 1929, when a charter was granted to Alpha chapter
at Butler University.

Soaring To Greater Heights Of Attainment Around The World,  
Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc.,as a leading
national service organization, has met the challenges of the
day and continues to grow through
Sisterhood, Scholarship and Service.

Sisterhood
From seven young educators, Sigma Gamma Rho has become
an international service organization comprised of women from
every profession. Sigma Gamma Rho offers its members opportunities
to develop their unique talents through leadership training and
involvement in sorority activities. Sorority activities provide an
atmosphere where friendships and professional contacts
are developed which often lead to
bonds that last a lifetime.


Happy 88th Anniverary and 88 more years of
"Greater Service, Greater Progress."

For more information about Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, click here.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love, Marriage and then a _______________

Love, marriage and then a baby carriage. I am preggers. I am 15 weeks pregnant. I know that it is not fall along, but I wanted to share our blessing on my blog. We are very excited about the little one, that we are currently calling Baby J. I have not had much sickness. I have had periods of nausea, but it is not consistent. I have noticed that my body is changing, as it should. I just guess that I was not expecting my body to change that quick.  As my friend, Bev says, " Your growing a life. What do you expect?" She is right. Really, I do not know what to expect. It will be quite a little journey as another part of me sweeping through  life.

Announcing........

Girl Announcing the arrival of our beautiful baby girl Gabrielle . She arrived a little bit early and kinda unexpectedly but well timed. She arrived on February 3, 2012 at 8:05 am. We are still getting settled in at home, but I wanted to let you know that she had arrived and I will share our story and pictures later.