Skip to main content

Monday Murmurings: Activities vs. Me Time

As mom's we want our children to have all the experiences they can have in life. Exploring those activities also involves moms being the taxi, the banker and snack machine for them. Not only are we wanting them to explore the activities, we also explore them by participating in the activity, socializing with the other parents or providing the snacks for the team. I really do not think that is the intent of the activity. I know that children need parent involvement, but sometimes it is too much, between work and home. To be honest, at times I want to be that parent who drops the kid off  at the activity and sometimes socializes with the other parents but gets to enjoy 45 minutes of "me" time. At times, that 45 minutes is needed  to refresh especially with the 50 minutes of prep time used to get to the activity.

I have thought about limiting the number of activities she participated in, but I have also thought with doing that, that I was limiting her.  I do not want to stifle her growth as a person,  her creative juices or  her free spirit of trying.  I am do not think that I should limit her activities, since I am involved in a few myself. So....I have chosen to not to limit her, but to limit myself which moms do all the time. I find pockets of  "me" time during her activities to recharge to get back into mommy-mode.  I just keep reminding myself of the glee I feel as a parent when she is singing a song at church, mastering a new swim stroke or when her annual dance recital comes around.  I want her to be happy and her current activities do. I know that it won't last always and I have 13 years to figure out what to do with my extended "me" time when all her activities end (or they won't end but all I will have to do is show up).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love, Marriage and then a _______________

Love, marriage and then a baby carriage. I am preggers. I am 15 weeks pregnant. I know that it is not fall along, but I wanted to share our blessing on my blog. We are very excited about the little one, that we are currently calling Baby J. I have not had much sickness. I have had periods of nausea, but it is not consistent. I have noticed that my body is changing, as it should. I just guess that I was not expecting my body to change that quick.  As my friend, Bev says, " Your growing a life. What do you expect?" She is right. Really, I do not know what to expect. It will be quite a little journey as another part of me sweeping through  life.

Announcing........

Girl Announcing the arrival of our beautiful baby girl Gabrielle . She arrived a little bit early and kinda unexpectedly but well timed. She arrived on February 3, 2012 at 8:05 am. We are still getting settled in at home, but I wanted to let you know that she had arrived and I will share our story and pictures later.